Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The journey begins

What is this blog about?  Well, it is an honest account about my face and how I am planning to change it.

I have been unhappy with my smile for a very long time due to having an extremely prominent overbite (13mm), an overjet of my upper teeth, a narrow upper jaw and a gummy smile.  In fact this unhappiness has been with me since I was a very young child and teased for my looks.  I was called everything from 'buck-teeth' to 'goofy' and this has stayed with me throughout my life.  And so I thought rather than wallow in shoulda-woulda-couldas any more, I would do something about it.

If you are reading this blog, chances are you are doing so because we are kindred spirits, you are a family member/friend of mine or you were randomly redirected here while watching videos of cute kittens on YouTube.  Whatever your reason for reading this, I will attempt and explain what some of the issues with my jaw mean:

  • Overbite - the official definition of overbite is 'a malocclusion of the teeth in which the front upper incisor and canine teeth project over the lower'.  That's a mouthful in itself (pardon the pun) but in layman's terms - my upper jaw is set much further forward than my lower and the jaws do not meet correctly.
  • Overjet - not only is my upper jaw set much more forward than my lower, my upper teeth have also grown out at an angle instead of vertically.  Thank you Mother Nature.
  • Narrow jaw - it is simply that, narrow.  When I smile my teeth do not go across the width of my smile as my jaw is too narrow.  Instead you see gaps (aka the Grand Canyon) in each side of my mouth between my jaw and the sides of my mouth.
  • Gummy smile - not only did my upper jaw grow much further forward than my lower, it also grew down too much meaning that I show too much gum-line below my upper lip.
It all adds up for a smile that is pretty out of whack, or 'unharmonised' as my Maxillofacial Surgeon much more eloquently puts it.

So finally after years of wishing I had done something about this, I decided to start the ball rolling on my way to facial harmony.  Now this journey actually started about a year ago, but before I could think about moving towards a better face I needed some major restorative dental work.

You see, I had a pretty bad addiction when I was younger.  I was addicted to Coke.  Now before you start calling me a 'crack whore' (I should be so lucky), I am of course talking about Coca-Cola.  I couldn't get enough of the stuff!  Now as a much more mature person I hardly touch sugary drinks, but the damage was done.  Three fillings, two root canals and multiple cleans later, not to mention three teeth that will need to be extracted (ok so it could have been worse) and I am finally on my way.

So why am I starting this blog now?  Well after a move from the west coast of Australia to the east, I have found a great dentist, orthodontist and Maxillofacial Surgeon.  My treatment plan has been put in place, and I signed my first lot of paperwork today!  This treatment plan will be in three main stages (with the first stage in March 2013) and will consist of:

  1. SARME (Surgically Assisted Rapid Maxillary Expansion) otherwise known as SARPE where the 'P' stands for 'palatal' instead of 'maxillary'.  This is a surgical procedure where I am put under general anaesthetic, an incision is made through my upper palette (yes it's split in half) and my jaw is widened.  I'll write more about this closer the time, but in the grand scheme of things this is the easiest stage of my treatment plan!
  2. Orthodontics - Oh the joy of having braces.  I will have upper and lower braces fitted around 6 months after the SARME surgery which will bring my teeth in and close the gap between my front teeth that the SARME will create, as well as realign some other teeth.
  3. Bi-maxillary surgery - this is by far the most major part of the plan and is double jaw surgery where both jaws are broken, various bits of jaw bone are removed, my lower jaw is extended forward and my upper jaw set back.  This surgery will be undertaken around 9 months after the braces go on.  Again, more about this later.
Still reading?  I'm impressed!  Well hopefully by now you are intrigued, impressed, interested or even infatuated.  Let's be honest though, even if you are totally bored and wanting to gouge your eyes out with safety teaspoons (is there such a thing?) to avoid reading any further, I still appreciate you looking.  Can anyone say attention whore? 

Of course you may have gathered by now that I love to talk, or type, or both - but my first blog post is now coming to an end.  

On a serious note, this will be a life changing journey for me (and my bank balance) and I am writing this blog to educate and entertain.  I hope you will follow me on my journey, and feel free to subscribe using the button within the 'Followers' section on the right hand side of the page.  Or simply comment, share and do whatever else with me that you will.

Ciao

4 comments:

  1. My daughter Jessica had almost the same problem as yours and on the 7th of November 2014 had a 4 and a half hour operation where they broke the upper and lower jaw,placed titanium plates in and pushed her jaw back and up, before her operation she could stick her tongue through her teeth with her mouth shut and couldn't close her lips unless she forced them closed and her entire top gum was exposed, she is 27 yrs old and also was called goofy, she had her wisdom teeth removed,braces on and another two teeth removed and finally after three years they were ready to operate and now she is still swollen and recovering, her face is smaller and not as long,her gum isn't showing and she looks great so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it really does sound as if she had almost exactly the same surgery as me. She will be swollen for a while, but as it is two weeks now she should start to see the swelling go down quite a lot (I did after the two week point). Just remember to get her to use lots of warm compresses which will help.

      I'm glad that you are both liking the results. I love my results as well and find it amazing what they can do. Pass your daughter my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

      Andy

      Delete
  2. Hey Andy,

    I'm so glad I've found your blog as I'm on a similar treatment to you and about the same age (and from AU).

    So far I've completed:

    - Gum graft for a receding gum line (January 2017)
    - SARME surgery to expand my upper jaw (February 2017)
    - Braces on (April 2017)

    In about a years time I'll be getting double jaw surgery to fix my 9mm overbite. It's been a lot to deal with already and I know I have the big one at the end so i'm Iooking forward to reading through your journey!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Please show me the love by leaving a comment, question or just a rambling thought. Please note that any abusive posts will be removed :)