Friday, March 8, 2013

Maxillary expander update and three days until surgery!

My expander has been in for three days and I must say I'm getting used to it quicker than expected.  My speech is not half as bad as it was on Tuesday (I no longer sound like Joseph Merrick) and it's now only certain words and sounds that I have difficulty with.  Eating is still a challenge as food constantly gets stuck between the device and the roof of my mouth, but nothing that gargling water after every meal doesn't cure.

The strange thing is that since having my expander in my sense of smell seems to have heightened.  I did not expect this to happen and haven't read it in other peoples experiences so it came as a surprise, but I must say it's a rather pleasant surprise.  I seem to be picking up smells that transport me back in time to a place with fond memories - spices in an Indian market, the smell of damp English soil when camping as a child, the smell of the sea breeze on San Francisco Bay.  Call me crazy, but they do say that if certain senses are limited, the others compensate for them.

Aside from this it is only three days until my surgery and I am starting to get a little nervous.  However, I am in the care of an absolutely fantastic team who make me feel comfortable and I have every confidence in them.  Dr. Peter Tsakiris is my Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and will be performing the SARME surgery on Monday, Dr. Steve Stromotas is my Orthodontist (who also has an amazing, friendly and professional team of staff) and will be assisting me with the expansion device and later my braces, and my dentist Dr Kenneth Wong is keeping my dental health at top notch condition.  That's enough love for one thread!

So what am I doing this weekend?  Well apart from stocking up on mashed potato, soup, protein drinks and other soft meals I am going to make the most of my oral freedom <insert naughty pun here>.  I have some friends coming for dinner on Saturday evening (I love to entertain) and will be chilling out on Sunday and catching up with as many people as I can on the phone while I can still talk.

I'll be updating this blog pre and post surgery so watch this space!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are really brave Andrew you are a absolutely lovely chap and I wish you all the very best for you and I am sure it will all go well love you xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please show me the love by leaving a comment, question or just a rambling thought. Please note that any abusive posts will be removed :)